Friday, May 1, 2009

Kuwait: Day 1 of 14

Got into Kuwait at 7am this morning and were welcomed at the gate by the Ministry of Health, who had decided that morning to require mandatory swine flu screenings before being allowed to enter the country.  A small part of me was hoping I wouldn't pass so I could turn around and head back to London.  

Thankfully, we had the morning to get settled in, shower and nap and then headed out to the jobsite.  No air conditioning (read 80 degrees) and a healthy layer of fine white dust in the air resulted in one very wet and filthy Holly after just two hours.  That, however, did not seem to deter my male fan base (I think I may be the only female on the entire sight), and within that short amount of time, a trip I thought was to get drinking water ended up involving a proposition to run away to Egypt with a 30 year old foreman named Tarek.  Me and the boxcutter in my pocket kindly declined.

The rest of the day I documented in photos, which I know are far more interesting then listening to me ramble on at what is 5:30am here.  Unfortunately, photography is highly discouraged here and often times illegal, so most of what I'll be posting has been shot incredibly discreetly from the hip.  

Toby, Raven and Thomas waiting for a taxi outside the jobsite.  

Typical streetscape in our neighborhood.  

Another typical sighting - empty, gutted and littered store fronts



I know what you're thinking, but no, that is not the Hamburglar

We all love malls.

Choices, choices, choices.  (Thomas told me he'd give me a buck if I could finish the Budweiser NA.  I will not be getting that buck.)

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand why you didn't want to run off to Egypt? You could see the pyramids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never tire of reading the arabic labels. That's a bottle of Akuwafeena, a can of Sefen Oop and a can of Genuine Budooaheezer. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete