Thursday, May 7, 2009

Shafaat

This is Shafaat with a pillow he made today out of packing foam, tape, cleaning diapers and hanging wire.  Shafaat is one of the workers who's been assigned to help our team every day and every hour we're at the job site.  The extent of his help ranges from hauling boxes, laying out floor protection, taking things out of my hand when I still need them, putting things away we're still using and bringing me candy every morning.  I adore this guy, but am incredibly grateful when he goes to prayer each day and I can actually walk without tripping over him. 

He's taken to calling me his big sister and at least once a day, asks if I'll take his papers to America with me and try to get him access into the county.   "You try.  You try.  No say impossible."  It's breaking my heart.

Safaat is Pakistani and works to support his entire family back in Pakistan - mother, father and a number of younger siblings.  He makes 150 Kuwaiti Dinar a month (about $500 USD).  Of this 150 KD, he spends 50 KD for room and board, 10 KD for his cell phone, and sends 50 KD to his family.  The remaining 50 KD goes towards paying back the cost of his travel over here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment